Family Vacation

Family Vacation

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Post-op Day 3

Sorry I didn't get a chance to update yesterday, Nathan kept me busy and we got some visitors. Aunt Kathleen, Trevor and Mimi all came to see Nathan and he was as excited as one can be in a medically paralyzed state. He did try to open his eyes when he heard he was getting visitors and while my mom was reading to him his heart rate slowed down showing us that he was either sound asleep, or very relaxed with Mimi.

It was nice for me to see Trevor, I haven't seem him since Wednesday. I like to think he missed me but when I picked him up I separated him from his food and he wasn't happy about that. Next time we're reunited I will make sure to have an emergency banana with me.

Nathan is doing pretty good. He had one incident yesterday where his oxygen level went down to 12%, it's supposed to be 100% - alarms start at 90%. The nurse was changing his diaper and he started peeing all over the place so she quickly put a diaper on him, we think that started him and caused him to move wrong and block his breathing tube. All the alarms went off, she called for help and the cavalry arrived. Everyone came running, with the code cart, and he came back up as quickly as he went down. Still scary for a mommy to see that, and to see them bag him instead of using the vent.

Today he is doing good. They are questioning the position of the breathing tube - he keeps having similar incidents to yesterday. Since his nurse knows his signs she catches him before he goes way down and he is able to recover quickly. The ORL doctor is going to come back in a little while and put a scope down the breathing tube to check to position of the breathing tube, they think it might be just a little bit too low and that is what is causing all this trouble. So we just have to wait and see, in the meantime his nurse is never far from our room.

No comments:

Post a Comment