Family Vacation

Family Vacation

Friday, August 26, 2011

Post-Op Day 1

Nathan did well overnight. Originally his ORL doctor had said that he might be allowed to wake up during this first week as long as he could hold still, I'm not sure the doctor knew who he was talking about. When they first got Nathan out of the OR he was simply on a sedative and morphine for pain control, he wasn't paralyzed. They were going to allow him to wake up a little and see how he did, but they also had restraints on his wrists to keep him from pulling his tube.

Overnight Nathan did start to wake up and wasn't thrilled with his situation so he started thrashing around. It wasn't as bad as it sounds but because any little movement can disrupt his surgical site he was medically paralyzed. The restraints were removed from his wrists since he no longer needs them, he is completley unable to move any part of his body. That includes breathing so he is completley dependent on the ventilator. He was going to be on the vent the whole first week anyway so that's no big deal.

Really this isn't something I'm suprised by, Nathan does have a history of self-extubating when he gets mad and this is one time when he will do more damage by doing that. So it's going to be a boring first week for us, Nathan won't even open his eyes and will be "sleeping" this whole first week. Anyone have any good netflix recomendations?

Overall he's doing as good as can be expected for being a little more than 12 hours post-op. He looks great, there isn't really that much swelling. His vitals are all stable and that's all we want for right now.

If you need me please text, we aren't supposed to have our phones on (but I do). I will periodically check my phone to see if anyone has texted me recently. I can call from outside the unit so if you need to talk to me text me and I will go outside the unit to call you.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that he is doing well thus far! Hugs and prayers that he continues!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete