Family Vacation

Family Vacation

Friday, May 20, 2011

Back Again

Nathan is back in the hospital.

On Monday he went to school and his nurse called us part way through the day and asked us to come pick him up. He was exhausted and was laying down in school. He didn't have the energy to make it through the day so we went to pick him up. He went straight to bed when he got home and stayed there for most of the rest of the night. He went to the pediatrician that night and she didn't have any great insight for the diarrhea. She was concerned that he was STILL having it but she was going to talk to the other Dr. (the one we usually see) and call us back.

He stayed home from school on Tuesday to sleep.

Wednesday he went to school in the morning, by the time we got to school he had been awake for 1.5 hours and was telling me he was tired. He just wanted to lay down. I told his nurse to call me if she didn't think he was going to make it through the day. I called the pediatrician when I left the school because I was a little worried about how much he was starting to throw up and I could tell he was getting dehydrated. Then my phone rang and it was Nathan's nurse, he was ready to come home - it wasn't even noon yet. Then the Dr. called back and told us to take him to the ER since I knew he needed fluids and they can't do that in the office.

In the ER they rehydrated him. Then a stupid resident came in and told me she thought he had a UTI and that UTI's cause diarrhea, I told her that wasn't the case. This isn't how he presents with a UTI, she didn't believe me. They ran a urine test and he doesn't have a UTI. The doctors are now thinking he has another infection - he doens't have another infection. I am finding it hard to believe this has been one infection after another since February. We think there is something wrong on the inside, with one of his organs or his intestines, but something other than an infection.

Tonight they decided to start feeding him and it didn't go well. The Dr. said he just wasn't ready and will try again tomorrow. I plan on telling the attending Dr. (not the stupid resident, but a different stupid resident from the one in the ER) that they either need to make a plan or transfer him to somewhere where they care about fixing the problem rather than treating the symptoms - which is all they seem to be doing.

Trevor is doing great. He was thrilled to get to Grandma and Grandpa's house this  morning, but I think that was more because he wanted a nap and didn't care where he took it. He followed me around and every time I stood still he would cry until I looked at him then he would stop, suck his thumb, and close his eyes - he wanted a nap.

Matt and I are sending a big thank you to all 4 of our parents and my sister. All 5 of them have been amazing these last few months with helping to take care of Trevor to going to visit Nathan, and never arriving empty handed. We are so grateful to you for all your help. Having Nathan in the hospital is hard but knowing that Trevor is OK makes it easier. Thank you so much for all you have done and continue to do for us and our boys.

That's all for now. I'll let you all know if anything changes.

1 comment:

  1. You have a beautiful family. Your in our thoughts and prayers. Michelle